“Employers can hire a foreign worker temporarily or offer a full-time job to support a skilled worker’s immigration to Canada”

There are several options to choose from, based on your needs. It all starts with a job offer.

If you, as a Canadian employer, would like to hire a foreign worker on a permanent basis, the worker will need to obtain Canadian permanent residence. There are a number of fast-track options available so that your future employee can begin work quickly.

There are several programs available for Hiring a Foreign Workers


 Temporary Workers

 The Temporary Foreign Worker Program allows employers to hire foreign workers to fill temporary labour and skill shortages. Employers can hire workers abroad or already in Canada.

There are two types of Temporary Foreign Workers (TFW): Higher Skilled and Lower Skilled.

Examples of qualified foreign workers already in Canada include those who are about to complete a job contract with another employer or those holding an open work permit that allows the employee to work for any employer in Canada.

The program can be used to hire foreign workers for up to four years.

Higher Skilled Workers

 A TFW can help employers meet their labor needs when Canadian citizens and permanent residents are not available to fill the positions. These workers often bring new skills and knowledge to help the country’s economy grow.
Employers can hire TFWs in higher-skilled positions such as: management, professional, scientific, technical or trade occupations. These higher-skilled occupations can be found throughout many sectors of the economy and as a result often have very diverse recruitment practices and regulatory requirements.

Positions must require education or formal training such as:

  1. university education
  2. college education
  3. vocational education
  4. apprenticeship training
  5. Academics

Live-in Caregivers

 While hiring someone from a foreign country to provide live-in care is possible, it can take some time. It is advisable to consider another solution for your care giving needs during the application preparation and processing time.

Foreign live-in caregivers must provide care on a full time basis (a minimum of 30 hours per week) for children under 18 years or elderly people over 65 years, or people with disabilities.

Live-in care givers can live and work without supervision in the private household where the care is being provided. They also must meet other requirements set by the CIC. For more information on program requirements, contact our office.